Before I tell you how to setup an online training business in your budget, let me tell you first that I am neither an academician nor a marketer. This complete article is based on my experience on various social channels and closely observing few marketers & subject matter experts who have made it and are running very successful business in the online training space. I had also joined many online training courses in the past which gave me insights to write this piece.
I also took help from a friend who is a corporate trainer in a multinational firm and runs few online training programs in the field of Analytics, Business Intelligence & Big Data as a side show. He is generating a descent Income from his online venture. [Good for him!]
In this article I will also share few free tools & platforms where you can setup your Online training business and generate money. [I do not intend to promote any of the tool/platform or I have any financial gain in doing so]
Training & Academics are quite serious businesses. You have to be an expert in the subject you choose else you will land just being a part of the crowd doing the same with no or very less output that is money. It’s not just only the content but the delivery channel and training style does matters a lot. How well you can connect with your audience depends upon how practical your course material is. Sharing real life scenarios and case studies is an integral part of the training now.
Making money in the online training business requires a lot of patience and hard work unless you are a celebrity trainer or in the top 10 list of people in your niche. So do your homework well before hoping in to this wagon.
That is being enough said, let’s have a closer look at the topic.
Choosing the right Medium
Your training medium could be anything, Text, Audio, Video or a mix of all. However, Videos are more compelling and interesting. Many studies and research suggest that:
- [an average user spends 88% more time on a website with video]
- [Forbes says, 59% of executives would rather watch video than read text].
For more statistics on video content see: https://www.virtuets.com/45-video-marketing-statistics/
But you can use texts in the form articles or blogs in the delivery method where you think video illustration are difficult to make or text could make a greater impact.
Screen recording is the best way to demonstrate practical examples or tool navigations. Try to add them much as you can in your course content. Here is the list of some free screen recording tools:
- Ezvid – http://www.ezvid.com/
- Open broadcaster software – https://obsproject.com/
- Tiny Take – https://tinytake.com/
- Flashback Express – https://www.flashbackrecorder.com/fbexpress/
It is always preferred to create your course content in English since it is globally recognized and accepted. However, it is purely depends on your target audience & the niche. For example, you want to run a course on North Indian cuisine and your target audiences are housemakers in North India. The ideal language should be Hindi for a better understanding and connect.
Choosing the right Platform for course delivery
So now we have created the content it’s time to publish the content in the Internet so that it can reach the audiences. Platform here plays a very important role. An ideal platform must have these specialties:
- Simple and clean Interface
- Cost effective [within your budget]
- Easy to scale
- Trackable [monitor progress]
- Integration with the sales channels [social media, SEO and PPC etc.]
I believe, the above bullet points are self-explanatory. [Leave your comments if you need anything to be explained further, I will update this article accordingly]
I have listed down few platforms you can choose to put your course content.
- YouTube – You can create a YouTube channel and put your course content in the video form and generate revenue through YouTube AdSense. For more information on creating a YouTube AdSense account and monetizing your YouTube channel, click here. Also, if you are providing high value content and you want your audience to pay first, you may opt for paid YouTube channel as well. Link to further information.
- Facebook – You can put your free course series on Facebook page and engage your audience. Boost your video post using Facebook boosted posts or Ads manager and increase page likes/followings. If your content is good you will get better results soon. Once you have achieved a good number of followings and likes, you can promote someone’s sponsored content to your post and generate income. There are few portals and services in India you may sign up to get your page listed for promoting sponsored content. [Influencer marketing is at the budding stage in India but has a great potential in the future]. You can check out Qoruz, its portal for businesses to discover and contact Influencers in social media. Alternatively, you can create a closed Facebook group and post your content there. To make it a paid group, create a landing page separately and get people to sign up and pay to be a part of your Facebook group. You need to setup your payment gateway in your landing page first. You can validate the payment and then approve your user’s joining request to the group [personally, this process is unnecessary as you have much simple and hassle free options to post your content and collect payments].
- Blog – If you have a WordPress blog [self-hosted one], you can add your course content there. If you want people should sign-in first to access the course content, you can setup free plugins for Sign-ups and protect your content from publicly getting access. Custom Login is a popular WordPress plugin in this category but you can find plenty of other paid and free plugins as well. If you want to run paid courses on your blog, you can install Woocommerce into your WordPress blog. Woocommerce enables you to sell products through your blog; it even enables to sell soft products like eBooks, videos or music as well. You can integrate the payment gateway and get going. [Best part is, it’s free!]
- Hosted platforms – [Its time to discuss my favorites now]. These are the platforms which enables you to create, manage & sell your online course content. They are fully automated platforms and you don’t have to worry anything except creating the content, rest is taken care by these platforms. They offer free services as well and paid ones as well with more features. If you are starting up then the free membership is just right for you. Content are hosted at their servers and your users can access them at any time they want by signing in. Let’s have a look at some of the popular platforms in this category :
Sales Funnel :
I think, text would be little boring for explaining the Sales funnel to you. I did some research and created a very generic sales funnel that most of the online teaching/coaching mentor uses for their online training business. You can mold it to your niche/sector depending on the complexity of the audience or the product.
Enough of all the Gyan, I leave it to you the decision of choosing the right platform & the process as you are best judge of your trade. Check out our blog page for more articles.